9.2.11

Recipe #2: Sautéed Asparagus and Tofu Stir-Fry

This is a wonderful little addition to any meal (could be eaten with rice, perhaps even pasta, or any meat side if so desired). I love its 'unique' taste, and the fact that it is a superbly healthy meal. Prep time for this is approximately 15 minutes, and sauté/cook time is about 10 minutes more. Of course, the faster you chop, the shorter the prep time will be. I, however, am no pro chopper quite yet. :)


Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 onion (cut into slivers)
- 4 medium cloves of garlic (minced or finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut thinly/julienne style)
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth (I use bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger (minced - I use a cheese grater for this, and grade it all)
- 3 cups asparagus (discard of the bottom bit and then cut into 3 equal parts)
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup of extra firm tofu (cut into small cubes)
- 1 tbsp tamari (soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- sesame seeds

Directions

  1. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable broth in skillet/frying pan. Sauté onion in broth over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
  2. Add garlic, ginger, asparagus, and peppers; continue to stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Add tofu, soy sauce, and vinegar. Turn heat to low and cover for 2-4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, yet still crisp (your preference).
  4. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
*Note: While the original recipe says to simply throw the cubed tofu in as is, I decided to crisp the tofu up a little bit before doing so. To do this, simply take a piece of paper towel and dab it several times on top of the tofu cubes to drain out some of the excess water. Put the tofu cubes into a bowl, sprinkle with garlic powder, and shake/mix until all cubes are fairly covered with the powder. Heat a tiny bit of peanut oil (or other vegetable oil, though peanut seems to work best with the tofu) in a frying pan, add the tofu, and let sit for several minutes, stirring occasionally to turn the cubes (5-10, depending on your preference - the longer, the crispier). Now you can add the tofu cubes to your stir-fry, or add them in at the very end to avoid them getting "un-crispy" again. Good luck! :)


Nutritional Info
(Per 1 serving; 1/4 of above amount)
98 calories
The original recipe also called for salt and white pepper to taste, but I didn't find this necessary. I avoid cooking with salt when I can, as it is found in nearly everything we eat already in the first place.

I love that the veggies are sautéed/stir-fried only in a bit of vegetable broth instead of in vegetable/cooking oil - makes for a bit of an even healthier meal. I think I will try this method from now on when making stir-fry. For our meal, I also made a bit of barbecue spiced salmon (bought fresh from Superstore), and they fit perfectly together. A small side salad would also be preferable, completing the meal.

Like? Dislike? Love? Hate? Let me know your taste buds' feelings if you try this recipe. I most definitely recommend it. It's a nice change from the usual. :)


Recipe idea and information from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=114&tname=recipe

2 comments:

  1. I say make an extra portion each time, freeze and send my way so I can be your official recipe judge! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... I'll think about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete