30.12.10

Homemade Puppet Theatres

For Christmas this year, instead of buying a pile of toys for my four nieces, I decided to build something for them. Although a wiser choice may have been a doll house or something a little smaller (as my oldest two nieces are only 2 1/2 years old), I built two puppet theatres. Here is a 'short' retelling of my venture! Step 1: Buy/collect building materials (1/2 inch plywood, primer, purple and pink paint, chalkboard paint, hinges, curtains, curtain rod, knobs, etc). I already had a drill and an electric sander, and all I needed to buy was a second hand jig saw (Black & Decker - from Kijiji for $20). Step 2: Plan out cuts needed to make for folding and windows; Cut out main window in center piece as well as the rounded windows on each outer side piece using jig saw. Step 3: Sand all edges and sides for toddler-safety with electric sander! Step 4: Use hinges to connect sides to one another. Connect windows to window holes using smaller hinges. Step 5: Paint all sides with primer. When dry, paint a second layer of primer. Step 6: Paint outer sides with pink (for Lily & Elena) and purple (for Olivia & Lexie), respectively. When dry, paint a second layer on each side. Step 7: Make stage and mini chalk board; stage is removable and rounded, and the chalk board is a simple rectangle with chalk board paint on it (2-3 layers). Add stage. Glue chalk board to front of main/center piece. Step 8: Add curtain rod and curtains; Add knobs to movable windows. Step 9: PLAY! PS: Thanks to my mom and dad for helping with the last part of the project - readjusting hinges, sewing the curtains around the curtain rods, etc! I was working on them right up until after our Christmas eve supper on December 24th! Also a big 'thank you' to Malcolm, who helped me pick out the material, get the material to our house, came for the drives to buy material, and came to help me down in the cold basement every time I called for his help! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment